Thursday, December 2, 2010

A lesson in sharing

I am sure you are expecting me to discuss how Jamus has trouble sharing. He is only 1 after all. It is probably a lesson he will have to eventually learn, but I guess I have to learn it myself before I can teach it.

My first lesson in sharing involves every single thing I have eaten in Jamus' line of sight for several weeks now. He is a magnet to food. It doesn't matter a bit whether he is hungry or not. Even if he just ate a full meal, if I get something out to eat he has to try at least a few bites. He will stand at my knee, look up at me with his big expressive brown eyes, point and say, "Sat sat sat." That's roughly short for "Wassat?" or, more properly, "What is that? I demand to have some." I've had to learn to plan for this. When I cut up my apple, I cut a few slices small enough to share with Jamus. (Ok, an apple sounds really good right now.). Even if I eat something he can't have, I always bring a little something he can and try to trick him into thinking we're eating the same thing.

My second lesson in sharing came after Jamus and I both had our afternoon naps the other day. I got up a little earlier from mine so I could eat a snack in peace. I put on HGTV to keep me company. When Jamus got up, I left the tv on so I could see how the big home makeover turned out. He let me have a few minutes, but then he walked over to the tv, looked at it, then looked back at me and started doing his adorable fake finger snap/tongue click. He was asking me to turn off my program and put on music instead. How could I possibly say no to such a successful attempt at communication? It is amazing that he can now so clearly tell us what he wants, but I guess that means a lot more sharing.

Jamus, age 13 1/2 months, has a lot to teach Momma, age 29 and 11 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment